Becoming a HAI Team Member (Assistant) in the Midwest
If you are considering becoming a HAI Team Member in the Midwest region, the following information gives you details on the upcoming trainings as well as the prerequisites to apply and description of the process.
There are 5 steps you must complete to become a HAI Assistant in the Midwest:
- Successfully complete our one-day Assistants Training (AT). This training may be taken any time after completing Loving Your Choices (Level 3), but no earlier than 6 months before submitting your application (step 4).
- Successfully complete Active Listening Training (ALT). This training may be taken any time after completing Connecting in Love (Level 1), but no earlier than 12 months before submitting your application (step 4).
- Complete at least through Exploring Sexuality and Spirituality (Level 4)
- Submit a written application, after completing steps 1-3 above. You also need to have attended a workshop within the last 12 months to apply.
- Serve as a Provisional Assistant from 2-5 times
We highly recommend that when you are participating in a HAI workshop you let the facilitators know you are interested becoming a team member. We also recommend volunteering for HAI sponsored events.
Application and Approval Process
After successfully completing both the AT and ALT within time periods listed above and meeting the other criteria, submit a written application which will be posted on the team website (available only to HAI team members) for a four-week review/feedback period.
The application and any feedback that may be provided by the team will then be reviewed by the Producer and Facilitators. Team is also coached to share any feedback with you and clear any withholds during this time. The Producer and the Assistant Coordinator will decide whether or not to approve the application. After the process is complete the Producer or Assistant Coordinator will contact you regarding the status of your application.
If the application is approved, you will become a Provisional Assistant and be invited to serve in that role at workshops.
Typically, Provisional Assistants serve at two-three workshops. (Some people may be asked to serve as a Provisional Assistant more than three times and some may be made a full Assistant in fewer than three workshops.) Each time you are on team as a Provisional Assistant you will be given feedback by the team, the Team Co, and the Facilitators at that workshop.
When the Facilitators, Team Cos, and Producer decide you are ready, your service ceases to be “provisional” and you become a full Assistant. Assistants are eligible to attend Team Workshops, which typically occur in March each year. Provisional Assistants are not eligible to attend.
If Assisting on Team sounds interesting to you, or you have already begun the process described above, we highly recommend that:
- When you are participating in a HAI workshop you let the facilitators know that you are interested becoming a team member, so they can get to know you in that context.
- You complete (or at least begin) 10 hours of HAI volunteer work. If you plan to become an Assistant and are not currently volunteering, you can contact the Producer who can help you get involved.
- You be involved in HAI sponsored or related activities.
Active Listening Training (ALT)
The most important communication tool HAI team members use is Active Listening. Simply put, Active Listening is reflecting back to the speaker the facts and feelings they just expressed. We use this technique whenever we’re speaking with someone who we think is in any upset or is experiencing a problem. The one-day ALT focuses on gaining skills in Active Listening techniques through review of concepts, discussion, and practice with feedback.
Since this technique is invaluable in everyday life, we offer it to anyone who has completed Connecting in Love (Level 1) whether or not they intend to apply to be a HAI team member.
Assistant Training (AT)
The AT is one of two basic courses which covers the activities, responsibilities, ethics, and tools used by HAI Assistants. It is available to everyone who has completed Loving Your Choices (Level 3) whether or not they want to become an Assistant.
2019 Training Dates, Locations, and Costs
The address of the specific location and directions will be provided upon registration.
- $50 each session
- Assistant Training begins 9:00 am and ends at approximately 6:00 pm. Plan to arrive between 8:40-8:50 am to settle in. Be ready to start promptly at 9:00 am.
- Active Listening Training begins 9:00 am and ends at approximately 6:00 pm. Plan to arrive between 8:40-8:50 am to settle in. Be ready to start promptly at 9:00 am.
To Register and Pay for Either or Both Training Days:
- Contact the Assistant Coordinator to register
- Contact the Midwest office to pay
PLEASE register early. There is a pre-training reading assignment for each training and trainings often fill to capacity. There are no overnight accommodations at the training site; however, often the HAI community in the area offers to host people overnight if you will be traveling from a distance.
Upon registration you will receive a confirmation email with full details, reading assignments, and a request for a commitment to reading the material before the training.
Please review the information at the beginning of this page before calling for more information. For additional information or questions about registration, please contact the Assistant Coordinator.